Monday, June 16, 2008

Life with a newborn baby girl

Crazy! That has been our lives in the past few months....there is no other way to describe it. New house, new baby, new job(s) for Marc and the incredibly sad passing of Marc's grandmother. There are days when I feel like a zombie and other days where I am insanely happy. Extreme highs and lows, this is what it must feel like to be manic.

Marissa is now 4 weeks old and we are slowly getting to know her. We are getting to know the positions she likes to be held in and trying to decipher her cries. She has one cry that is like nothing I have heard before. We have named it the "hissing dragon". It's when she has herself really worked up and has cried herself hoarse. It's the cry we will do anything to avoid hearing. When she is really hungry and has latched on to the bottle she makes noises like a goose. That noise always gets a giggle out of all of us. It's the oddest thing. She is a tough audience and I have a really hard time getting her to smile despite my best attempts, although inanimate objects such as a picture on a wall or an oak banister have no trouble eliciting a big toothless grin from her. She adores her big brother and turns her head in search of his gorgeous face when she hears his voice. He can entertain her like no one else can and he has made up a wonderful song called "Don't Just Cry" for her. Inspired by her seemingly constant wailing. We all sing it now hoping that the toon will soothe her.

Despite the lack of sleep, the crying, the constant bottle making, the tight schedule that I have that seems to revolve around her, a hundred diaper changes a day and having no free time for myself..she's beautiful and she's all mine. No, you can't have her.

8 comments:

Gill said...

But I want her. She must be mine!!!!
Oh Lisa, she looks like Marc.
You guys must be thrilled. Thrilled!!!!
She is a beauty. Hissing dragon? You guys make me howl. I'll have to visit for that mojito.
Give me driving directions and I'll pop over in a few weeks. When I have a day and night to spare. I'll pencil you in, you are worth it.
xoxo

Gill said...

Oh, I've sent a couple of friends over here.
xoxo

Sheila said...

Lisa, she is beautiful..!
Gill told me all about her, and her handsome little bro.
Hopefully she will soon settle into a routine, and things will calm down...in about 20 years maybe!
Hugs to you all
xx
Sheila (Gill's Mum)

meghan said...

hello, it's nice to meet you! I'm here from Gillian's blog - what a gorgeous girl you have!!!!

Yoli said...

Congratulations!! She is gorgeous!!! I would be spoiling her left and right.

I am here via Gillian and I am happy to meet you and your beautiful family. Welcome to the world of blogging, it is honestly very cathardic.

Scarlet said...

I'm visiting via Gillian's blog to say YOU HAVE AN ADORABLE BABY GIRL!! Don't worry, I won't take her; I have enough hissing dragons in my life. ;) She IS cute though!

I wish you luck w/ those sleepless nights and the howling at the moon stage. Remember, this too shall pass. Enjoy the wonderful madness.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm here via Gillian's blog.

What a beautiful baby girl you have. I, myself, have often found an oak bannister to be a riotous affair! ;)

What a wonderful trip down discovery lane getting to know your little one. I bet she'll be quite a strong and independent one as she grows. Just a feeling.

Its nice to meet you!

paris parfait said...

Visiting via our mutual friend Gillian. Congrats on the birth of your beautiful baby daughter (and the birth of your blog as well). May only good and magical things happen in her life.