Monday, August 24, 2009

The best gifts

Today I am celebrating my 39th and have never been more excited or hopeful for what is around the corner. I am not afraid of getting older as every year gets better for me. I am never disappointed on my birthday. This year is no different.

I am usually long gone in the morning and rarely get to see my kids as I start my day. Today, Marc woke them both up to be sure I got to see them and hug them before I left. The gifts I received from them are priceless.

A handmade card on pink paper with sweetly drawn flowers and "I love you mommy" written carefully in a black triangle that held all the love in the world. It was taped to the orange juice carton so when I reached for it, as I do every morning, I was sure to see it. A shiny necklace that has beads of every colour on it, red, blue, pink, lime green, blue and purple. It was hand picked by the sweetest boy in the world. I am proudly displaying it around my neck and don't ever want to take it off. Every bead worth more to me than all the diamonds in the world.

A big hug from a sleepy little girl. You know the kind only a baby can give. Her little arms held tightly around my neck and her beautiful head with the softest hair rested on my shoulder and snuggled into me. This moment was followed up by a sloppy, drooly kiss from her. It was a perfect moment and tears silently slid down my cheek as I was completely wrapped up in it.

But the best birthday gift I am getting this year is from my mom and dad. After years of living more than 2 hours outside the city they are selling their house and making their way back to us. Back to their grandchildren and children who love and miss them so much. Unfortunately, today's responsibilities and pressures of life don't allow us to travel to see each other very often. I know this decision wasn't easy for them. They have to sell their beautiful country home that they poured themselves into over the past 10 years and are now stressed about finding a new one.

But my kids and my niece and nephews will now have an opportunity to bond more closely with the 2 people who gave life to 3 and who are the proud grandparents of 7. My camera and my heart will now hold more pictures of them playing with their grandchildren. Snapshots of every memory made of time spent with them. I can't wait to have them closer. Thank you mom and dad...this is truly the best gift.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!

8 comments:

Gill said...

Annnnnd she is 39. :D
If you were in the room, you know I'd be giving you the biggest hug.
Lisa I love you. LOVE. YOU.
Love you.
Yesh.
So know this, I was away on holidays when you celebrated this blessed event, when you wore the necklace that Cleopatra herself would have envied....when you turned the last of the 30 years. Next is the big 40...and that means Marc will have to contact MOI.
For no one, I repeat, NO ONE, turns 40, without MY PERMISSION.

Oh you are missed dearly. Dear girl.
As I type this, Matt Good plays in the background. Coincidence? I think NOT!!!!
I.
Love.
You.
xoxoxo

Gill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.