Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day to my amazing mommy!


My mom is such an awesome wife, mom and grandma. She is a strong woman who stands behind the people she loves even when they don't deserve her loyalty. She dedicated many years to raising her 3 children and provided a safe and loving home for us. I know there were many things that she did that went unnoticed and that we never thanked her for.

During my teen years she was my best friend and confidante. I shared everything with her and knew no matter where I was or what was happening in my life, she was there. When I moved to the other side of the country, I knew she was only a phone call away. If I needed support, her voice was there giving advice. If I needed to be consoled she was there with a hug or a smile. If I needed money (which I did quite a bit) you can be sure it was deposited in my account the very next day.

There is no doubt she loves her children but she has such an incredible passion for her 6 (soon to be 7) grandchildren that it would be hard to match. They run to her when she comes for a visit and a 'how many more sleeps' countdown is needed when planning a trip to Grandma and Grandpa's. She never hesitates to play with them and she will stop whatever she's doing if her attention is being demanded and give it undivided. Hugs and kisses are a constant and they love her back just as equally. It is not unusual for her to have 3 or 4 of the kids follow her around from room to room like a mama duck and her ducklings. They are never too far from her side when they are together. The word "no" is rare in her vocabulary when it comes to them but when it is used it is only for their safety, or her sanity!

She has always been a wonderful role model as a dedicated and determined woman. At the age of 62 she decided to overcome her fear of water and learned to swim. 2 years later she is at the pool twice a week and now wants to learn to dive. Proving to me, and to a lot of people, it is never to late to try. I am very, very proud of my mom for doing this and I know will inspire me when I think I can't overcome something. She is inspirational.

I asked my son tonight to describe Grandma in one word. His response was simply 'love'. I agree. My mom is love and she is a woman who does so with all her heart. Her family and all that know her are blessed and I don't want this day to pass without giving her the credit she so rightfully deserves.

Thank you mom. Thank you for all those things that went unnoticed. Thank you for loving me.

"God could not be everywhere and therefore he created mothers"
- Jewish proverb

2 comments:

Gill said...

Dearest Lisa,
I've met your mother, and yes, she is a fabulous human being. She raised you, didn't she? The nut falls not far from the tree.
I think your tribute to her is just so beautiful, I hope she read this today!!!
Happy Mother's Day Lisa, to one of the most amazing mother's I've ever known. YOU!
xoxo

Gill said...

...that's 'mothers'
not, 'mother's'

How could I be so grammatically sloppy on such a day as this? Woe is me!~

xoxo