Thursday, August 4, 2011

10 years of wedded bliss

I dug out one of my old journals from 2001 last night and read the entries from the days leading up to my wedding on August 4th. I smiled at my thoughts of excitement, anticipation and the worry that it would rain. We had an out door wedding with absolutely no plan B. Thank goodness Gerry, Marc's grandfather who had passed away earlier that year, was listening to my prayers. He turned up the heat, WAY up. It turned out to be the hottest day of the summer, a balmy 43 degrees. The humidex killed my curls but the girls at Rapunzel in Gananoque still did a wonderful job.

I remember Kir Royales shared with my girls, the photographer arriving early, the Minister not showing up at all and finally the vows over looking the water at the Glen House. The day flew by celebrating with family and friends, up until 4:30 am, drinking and dancing and then when the day came to an end, Marc lovingly removed 98 bobby pins from my hair.

My journal entry a year later was about celebrating our 1st anniversary at the same spot, eating melt in your mouth salmon and steak. We took a picture of us on the dock. In the exact same spot where we stood a year before. I had wrote that there was another couple getting married that day and that I felt sad knowing I would never do it again.

My last sentence in that entry was "I truly hope we are as happy 25 years from now as we are today". Well, I am happy to tell you there are 10 down, 15 to go. With all the love and life we've had in the past 10 I am truly optimistic for the next 15 and beyond.

And, years from now, with a thousand happy moments behind us and 2 hearts filled with lasting memories, when people ask how long we've been married I will tell them not long enough.

4 comments:

MPlante said...

Wow, what a great entry! Truer words have never been written about that day - I think many of the people there look back with a lot of fond memories about our wedding day. Here's to the next 10 years and more - hopefully they don't fly by so quickly that we can't enjoy the view :)
Love you always,
Marc

Gill said...

I'll never forget your wedding day, it was beyond special. We are so happy for the two of you...still going strong. IF that day was any indication, you guys will last forever and a day.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely story. I'm getting married for the second time and hopefully the last time in a month. May your love last forever. Ruadh gu brath

Jenny NicCoinneach said...

Hi Lisa!

This is an interesting blog, but as a Gael one thing is REALLY bugging me - why do you mis-spell it's title? It should be ruadh gu brĂ th! Accents are very important in Gaelic! :-)