Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Little Wonders

It's picture day at school and my little guy was looking very handsome in his shirt and tie and spiked hair.

The morning was rushed, as usual, and my patience was being tested with so much going on in our lives. A new baby 3 weeks away from making an appearance, a house that is almost sold and one that is almost bought and the never ending foul mood and nausea I seem to be fighting these days.

I was trying to rush Aiden out the door with the daily rant of “mommy is going to be late for work” and me fully expecting him to understand the responsibilities adults have. He was his usual pokey self and my frustration was building. I was hurrying him to the car when he stopped and said, “Look mommy a birdie” I was so intent on getting him and the 3 bags I had in my hand in the car I almost missed it. The look of sheer joy on my little boys face as he watched a robin hopping along our driveway. In an instant my mood shifted and I just stood and soaked in the moment as he chatted away happily to this bird and was whispering ‘it’s ok, I wont’ hurt you’ hoping that the robin would come over to him for a quick scratch behind the wing.

I silently thanked God for flying this bird into our lives on a gorgeous spring morning. I needed Him to get my attention and to remind me of what a gift my sweet little boy is. A few minutes later the bird flew away in search for his breakfast no doubt. Aiden happily jumped in the car and off we went to start our day. Me in a much better mood and Aiden? Well, he had shifted his attention to a song on the radio and asked me to turn it up. He said "this is the song from that movie, remember mommy?" The song was Little Wonders by Rob Thomas from Meet the Robinsons. Yes, the universe was speaking to me this morning.

The girls swooned when he walked into his daycare shortly after. “Look, Aiden has a tie on. He looks like he’s going to marry someone” shouted one gorgeous little blond girl.

One day he will grow up, perhaps get married and have children of his own and these moments for me will be a faded memory. Today I am going to hold on to it as long as I can.

2 comments:

Gill said...

I threatened to clack my children's heads together three times today.

I am an empty threated, non punishment delivering woman to be walked on at every given opportunity.

When this new one comes along...you too will be clackin some heads.

Soak in all the birdie moments you can my love!!!

Aiden is so cute, wearing a tie. I can totally see that! What a sweetie. "Broadwing" still asks about him, he made an impression.

xo
Love you!
Hang in there, the full moon makes me foul too. (Mood wise, that is! Let's be clear.)

Campy said...

Oh that Aiden....what a sweetheart.
Wisdom from the eyes and comments of a child eh?