Sunday, April 27, 2008

What the hell does that mean?

A few people have asked me what the name of my blog means. It is Gaelic for "Redheads Forever"

As a child and on to my teen years I hated my red hair. I had always wanted a smooth flawless complexion free of freckles and one that tanned easily in the summer time. My mom always made a point of telling me how special and different I was, although as a young girl I only wanted to fit in with the sea of blonde and brunette girls in my school. I now understand what she meant.

As an adult, I love being a redhead. I love sticking out of the crowd and being different. I am constantly complemented on it (which helps ease the memories of being teased about it years ago) and other women pay a lot of money to get the colour and tone I have. Lucky for me, the first thing that attracted my husband to me was my hair. He loves redheads, mainly because they are different and perhaps a little mysterious.

I am sad when I look in the mirror and see the grey, knowing that one day my red will come from a bottle or will be completely grey, blending in with all the other grey hairs on seniors day at Wal-Mart, no longer standing out. And studies have shown that the gene that causes red hair is dying and that in another 100 years there will be no redheads left. I guess that makes me pretty damn special.

Some little known facts about us ginger haired peeps: In Denmark it is considered an honour to have a child with red hair. Ancient Greeks died their hair red to show courage. And my personal favourite, according to research, blondes may have more fun but redheads have more sex! This research shows that the fiery redhead certainly lives up to her reputation. You can buy t-shirts strictly for redheads and we were the favourite subject of 19th century British artists.

I believe now that I would be a completely different person had I been born with blonde or brown hair. I am very thankful that I was blessed with this hair colour. Red Heads forever!!

"Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall in love with a gorgeous redhead!"
-Lucille Ball

Q: Why didn't Indians scalp redheads??
A. They knew better.

5 comments:

Gill said...

Thank God for you. Red hair on you is perfect!
I hope you are well. My email is broken I also have not been blogging in days.
I feel so disconnected. Call me!!!
Have you had your baby yet???

Redheads forever Lisa!!!!
xoxox

Sara said...

I love this post! As a redhead myself (well I guess technically strawberry blonde, but really more red than blonde), I really appreciate the 'little known facts' section of your post. Ruadh gu brath is my new favorite saying! Thanks for the post!

Sara

Anonymous said...

Your hair won't get grey. It will turn blonde, then white.
And also, I'm pretty sure that the gene isn't dying, it's just getting less common as a percentage. Or something like that.

Unknown said...

Рыжие вперёд! Вот так это пишется по-русски. Спасибо Вам, Лиза. Я тоже был бы другим, вернее сказать - это они все, окружающие нас блондины и брюнеты другие. А мы - особенные!

Laura said...

Your post was awesome! Growing up a redhead was very difficult for me, too. Nowadays, life is good!!! The details in your post were my exact experiences to a "T." You could not have conveyed what redheads experience growing up any clearer!
Thank you! Although I cried reading your post, I cheered at the end and now smiling SUPER big!
Cheers to ya Red!

Laura Ajax
LauraEAjax@aol.com