Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Babies...let's have a bunch.

According to C.D. Howe Institute what Canada needs is more babies. Really? I mean REALLY?

As much as I would like to keep making contributions to the next generation and to ensure my pension and retirement is not impacted too much, I am pretty sure I'm done having babies. My ovaries are waving little white flags announcing their retirement despite their lack of of funding and inability to travel to Europe every summer.

The memory of puking for 9 straight months (and doing it quietly and efficiently so you don't disturb your sleeping husband), the constipation, swollen ankles and boobs the size of watermelons are still way too fresh in my mind. The lack of sleep, colic and breast feeding issues are not something I am eager to repeat now that they are no longer a part of my life. The information about pregnancy that is thrown at you and gives you nightmares (or at the very least may cause you to give birth to an 8lb tele-tubby)...no eating deli meat, tuna, caesar salad or lead-based paint chips. No plastic containers or water bottles, no colouring your hair, no sex with random strangers (which is not something I would do but just proves that I am not getting any younger).

Me thinks Canada is going to have to rely on other people to have the babies.

But why does my belly have butterflies when I see, smell or hold a new baby? Is the universe whispering to me, telling me to continue to populate Canada? I mean, I have 2 of the most gorgeous kids in the entire universe, who am I to withold adding more perfection to it?

1 comment:

Gill said...

Oh I know! Lisa, I'm addicted to babies. Totally!
But I'm done. Seriously. It's way too hard on me physically and I would like to now focus on the two that I have.
I still feel the pull of procreation whenever I hold a little one. I think they are infused with magic to make us want to keep going. The population of our planet used to depend on these lovely smells (sour milk and baby powder) to intice us into having bunches of kids.
xoxo enjoy your week!!! Love you!!