Thursday, July 2, 2009

The first of many disappointments....sadly

Our neighbour has a fishing boat in his driveway that has long been admired by Aiden. Recently a for sale sign has gone up on it.

When news of the sale reached Aiden, he could not contain his excitement. He came running into the house asking for his change jar because...and I quote "that boat is mine mom". His dad and I tried to tell him that he didn't have enough money in his change jar to buy a boat like that. But with a fierce determination he grabbed 2 handfuls of change and went to buy this boat. We watched our little boy march over and with a shy smile made his first offer. Moments later Aiden came racing in the house once again, leapt up the stairs and with heart pounding excitement told us the neighbour needed "a little more than that'. So he grabbed another handful of change and went back outside, leaving a trail of pennies and dimes behind him. Sadly, the offer was still not enough.

Marc and I laughed at the sweetness and innocence of it but quietly my heart hurt for him. I wanted to buy the boat just so I didn't have to see those blue eyes well up.

His disappointment was soon forgotten by hugs and the promise of ice cream.

I only hope all his disappointments are as easily forgotten, but in reality we know life can be harsh.

And although I may not always have the power to take the hurt away, I will always be there with the promise of hugs and ice cream to help him through it.

No comments: