Thursday, July 23, 2009

Eggs and freckles

Earlier this week we got the news that Aiden has probably out grown his egg allergy and we can start slowly introducing it back into his diet. His joy and 'egg-citement' was evident as he yelled several "YOO-HOO's" as we left the doctors office. The smile and the non-stop chatter about who he was going to tell and how he was going to share the news made my chest burst with love and a ton of relief. A TON of it I tell ya! The first thing that came to my mind was birthday parties. They will be so different for him now. He doesn't have to be the kid who doesn't get a piece of the cake anymore. I don't have to call parents to see what's on the menu in fear of it containing eggs. I don't have to watch his face crumple in disappointment when he's told he can't share something sweet with his friends because his little body can't tolerate it. Yes, it was a ton of relief indeed.

We went to Toys R Us as a treat afterwards and he continued to share his news with a lady stocking the shelves, a little boy and his mom in the Ben 10 section and the guy at the check out. These strangers genuinely shared his 'egg-citement' as they gave him hi-five's and congratulated him.

East Side Marios was the next stop for a bite to eat and some bonding. He wanted to have something on the menu that had eggs in it. I gave him several options but he decided he wanted pizza, which has zero egg content but it is his favourite food. Marc suggested pancakes with egg in it for supper. He agreed and he talked about helping me make them and how he was going to touch an egg...for the very first time.

I got lost in the moment as he chattered on endlessly in his complete and utter joy. My love was immense for this little boy with the beautiful freckles who sat across from me. He was completely caught up in his own little world with so much emotion and happiness. A completely wonderful world that just opened a very big door for him.

No comments: